A stunningly elegant piece of Imperial Carnival iridescent glass, bearing influences from the period of its creation, when design was transitioning from Art Nouveau to Art Deco.
The colour is known as Marigold and the form is known as the Freefold or Ruffled Top Vase. The undulating ruffles and the gentle ridges down the body the lends itself beautifully to catching the light and showing off the iridescence.
This design is typically found in smaller sizes and this is the larger version measuring at c. 11.5" / 29 cm tall x c. 3.2" / 8.2 cm ( base diameter). The base also features a cut 16 point star.
This work of shimmering warmth would suit a room with Retro, Art Deco / Nouveau or Vintage themed decor.
Excellent, there is light wear and faint water marks towards the base. which are commensurable with the age of the piece, please see photos as part of the condition report.
Height: c. 11.5" / 29 cm tall x c. 3.2" / 8.2 cm ( base diameter).
Unpackaged weight: c. 0.5 kg / 465 g
Vase will be securely packaged and shipping will be insured.
Shipping will be combined for multiple items.
A BIT OF HISTORY
Imperial Glass Co. of Bellaire, Ohio was founded in 1901 by Captain Edward Muhleman. Their early production was intaglio, pressed moulded, crystal glassware that was known as “near-cut”, because it imitated cut glass. Various dates have been quoted for when Imperial started making Carnival Glass: it did not appear in the Butler Brothers wholesale catalogues until 1910, but (without proof) it was widely felt that they had introduced their Carnival Glass earlier.
The publication “American Flint” reported in November 1909 that Imperial was working on new iridescent coloured ware, and the Imperial Glass Encyclopedia states that Imperial began marketing its iridescent glass in the Fall of 1909 (Vol II, National Imperial Glass Collectors Society, 1997). However, recent research has discovered ads in the Washington Star, dated 1908.
Over the years, Imperial went through various changes of ownership, becoming Lennox Imperial Glass in 1972 (and the IG mark became LIG), and in 1981 it was sold to Arthur Lorch (the LIG mark became ALIG). They finally closed their doors in 1984, and the factory was demolished in 1995.