Presenting a stunning work of Art Deco art glass, handblown by the Kralik Factories. This base bears the acid-stamped mark of 'Tchecoslovaquie', the French spelling of Czechoslovakia, used between 1918-1938.
The form is six lobed, and on every lobe, there is a seam tracing the curve of the vase's belly, creating an excellent angular surface to refract light from. The characteristics of simplicity in the shape and the angular elements of the vase is typical to the sophisticated luxury design style of Art Deco, which was at its height during the time this vase was made.
The iridescent glaze on the black grape purple glass body is the Purple Glatt glaze, a fluid ombre effect flowing between the deep slate blue, peacock green, indigo and purples. The 'knees' of the vase and the two ringed base shows off the colour changing ability between the golds, blues, greens and purples. Perhaps words are not the best way to describe, the photos do a better job but even they don't do justice to the real thing.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Excellent, the most significant and notable wear to mention is there is a chip at the end of the clear glass handle on the inside of the vase; at the joining point where the clear glass joins to the iridescent body. However, as body of the vase is of deep purple glass, the chip is not noticeable unless you're looking for it. Beyond this, there is light wear that is commensurable with age of the piece, please see photos as part of condition report.
Height c. 7.6" / 19.4 cm x length of c. 5.5" / 14 cm across the widest points.
Unpackaged weight: 0.5 kg / 504 g
Vase will be securely packaged and shipping will be insured.
Shipping will be combined for multiple items.
A BIT OF HISTORY
The nation of Czechoslovakia did not exist until the end of World War I. The country was formed in 1918 from Slovakia, Bohemia and Moravia. Czechoslovakia continued as one nation until January 1993 when Bohemia and Moravia formed the Czech Republic; Slovakia became the Republic of Slovakia.
Wilhelm Kralik Söhne was an important glass works in the Austria-Bohemia region of eastern Europe. It was founded in 1815 and made high quality art glass through 1933. After the end of the Second World War , the company became a Czech state enterprise under the name " Sklárny Český křišťál " ("Czech crystal glass"). In 1993 it was renamed " Šumavské sklárny " ("Šumava glass") and in 1995 the final closure of the glass factory in Eleonorenhain.