This elegant trio of handblown Swedish art glass miniatures is by three of Kosta Boda's famously celebrated glass artists: Bertil Vallien, Ulrica Hyd-Vallien and Monika (Monica) Backstrom.
In this trio:
- The charming white frit glass and hand-painted bowl is by Ulrica Hyd-Vallien from her 1979 series 'Butterfly'.
- The white frit glass, abstract flask-form vase, with delicate and tactile netted surface pattern is by Bertil Vallien from his 1978 series 'Network'.
- The elegant abstract bottle vase in tactile grey scavo and smooth, clear crystal casing is by Monika Backstrom attributed to her 1989 series Sunny. This piece is trimmed in Cerulean blue as opposed to the usual Scarlet red.
Both the Butterfly bowl and Network vase is from The Artist Collection, a concept was introduced by Vallien to give glass artists the freedom for personal, creative expression and to remove the 'mass produced' feeling. The final piece is from Kosta Boda Atelier collections. Whether pieces were created as part of The Artist Collection or Atelier, they are limited edition studio works and individual to the artist that created them. As each piece is handblown, this also makes the final décor of each piece unique.
Those familiar with the process of hand-blowing or hot working glass will know that glass needs to reach 1,320 °C (2,400 °F) to melt and even the working temperature is 1,090 °C (2,000 °F). This knowledge alone is enough to appreciate the care, effort and skill required to create these miniature works of art glass.
Excellent. No chips, cracks or repairs, please see photos as they form part of the condition report.
- Network White Flask - piece is inscribed with "BODA, ARTIST COL, B VALLIEN, 48012"
- Sunny Grey Bottle - piece is bears label with "KOSTA BODA SWEDEN, ATELIER BY MONIKA BACKSTROM"
- Butterfly White Bowl - piece is signed with "Ulrica H.V" and further inscribed with "Boda, Artist Col. 58236"
- Network White Flask: Height: c. 3.8" / 9.7 cm x c. 0.8" / 2 cm rim diameter. Base measurements: c. 2" / 5 cm x c. 1" / 2.5 cm.
- Sunny Grey Bottle : Height: c. 3.3" / 8.3 cm x c. 0.7" / 1.7 cm rim diameter. Diameter: c. 1.6" / 4 cm. Base diameter: c. 0.8" / 2 cm.
- Butterfly White Bowl: Height: c. " / 4.7 cm x c. " / cm rim diameter. Diameter: c. 2.4" / 6.2 cm. Base diameter: c. 1" / 2.6 cm.
Unpackaged weight [all pieces]: c. 0.2 kg / 230 g
Trio will be securely packaged and shipping will be insured. Shipping will be combined for multiple items.
A BIT OF HISTORY
Kosta Boda, Sweden’s oldest glass company, was founded as 'Kosta' in 1742 and began making art glass — that is, unique and limited edition pieces — with the hiring of the painter Gunnar Wennerberg in 1898. Kosta has a strong history for many well-known glass artists such as Ewald Dahlskog, Vicke Lindstrand, Erik Höglund, Bertil Vallien and many many more.
Kosta Boda was formed in 1976 when the merger of Kosta, Boda and Åfors glass communities took place. Kosta Boda enjoys a reputation as Sweden's most artistic and experimental glassworks, featuring artists and sculptors.