This exemplary work of Modernist ceramic artistry is from the rare-to-market and highly sought-after Montblanc series designed by Kurt Tschörner for the internationally renowned West German pottery Ruscha. Tschörner was a prolific designer who worked for Ruscha from 1953 to 1974. This Montblanc series, and indeed, this vase stands out with its bold geometric, incised décor in the beautifully contrasting matte black and white gloss glaze. A statement piece that combines Modern boldness with classic elegance in remarkable condition makes this difficult-to-refuse work of ceramic art.
The combination of this work's form, condition, size, and palette makes it an even rarer find considering the scarcity of Montblanc pieces.
Excellent. No chips, cracks, or repairs. There is negligible surface wear and movement marks on the underside of the base that is commensurable with the age of the piece - please see photos as part of the condition report. The underside of the base is signed with 'Ruscha, Montblanc 861R'.
Height: c. 12.6" / 32 cm (from base to rim) x c. 4.6" / 11.7 cm in width (across widest point). Base measurements: c. 3.1" / 8 cm. Unpackaged weight: c. 1.0 kg / 990 g
A BIT OF HISTORY
Ruscha (established 1906 - 1996) Originally founded in Rheinbach by Georg Schardt, it was known as Klein & Schardt until 1948. Rudolf Schardt would take over the company and rename it to Ruscha, the name created from the first letters of his fore and surname. As Ruscha entered the ceramics boom in the 1950s, the pottery was joined by art pottery director Cili Wörsdörfer who made her handpainted designs for series such as Milano and Zebra wildly popular. Otto Gerharz was the production director, designing innovative glazes such as Vulkano.
Ruscha would later add to its success with Kurt Tschörner who designed whimsical and daring forms such as the 313 jug that became sought-after hits.
Other greats who joined Ruscha included Ernst Borens, Hans Welling and Adele Bolz. Unfortunately, the pottery's success came to an end in the 1990s, when it finally closed its doors in 1996, selling its name and many designs to Scheurich who produced vintage-inspired designs under the 'Ruscha Art' brand.