This elegantly stylised work of Art Deco design is by the English pottery Shorter and Son (est. c. 1900 - c. 1964). The sculpted and abstract jardiniere form firmly displays architectural influences of Art Deco geometricism and echoes from the Art Nouveau period. The overall shape is that of a tiered and asymmetrically rounded-rectangle that is an excellent canvas for the tactile décor.
The décor is a touch-inviting pattern of stylised geometric accents; from the rounded angular borders trimming the tiers to the scalloped borders and flower-like segments. Further elevating this piece is the sumptuous glaze that is a blended dappling of Powdered Peach, Mint green, and Pale Indigo blue tones. The visual appeal of this piece is timeless in style but yet also very much a piece of Art Deco history.
Very Good. No chips, cracks, or repairs. The most notable wear is a glaze-flaw, where the glaze was applied unevenly and subsequently created a wear. Please refer to photographs as they form part of the condition report. The base bears Shorter and Son's stamp denoting 'Shorter and Son Ltd, Stoke on Trent, Made in Great Britain".
Height: c. 3.7" / 9.5 cm. Width: c. 8.6" / 21.8 cm (across widest point) x c. 4.5" / 11.5 cm (into deepest point). Unpackaged weight: c. 0.6 kg / 615 g
Jardiniere planter will be securely packaged and shipping will be insured. Shipping will be combined for multiple items.
A BIT OF HISTORY
Before the 1920s, Shorter and Son (c. 1900 - 1964) produced Edwardian Majolica ware, creating a broad range of domestic and ornamental ware such as jardinieres, umbrella holders, bowls and vases. From the 1920s onward, their range only broadened however, they would adapt their designs to the burgeoning influences of the period. The design of their tableware and accessories, for example, reflected the Art Deco influences of the greats such as Clarice Cliff and Mabel Leigh designed for Shorter and Son from 1933 to 1935.
Sadly, in the early 1960s, the company faced the death of director Arthur Colley Shorter as well as the loss of a factory in Copeland Street to a road development scheme. Finally, there were significant expenses to convert to smokeless firing to conform with the Clean Air Act. These factors resulted in a decision to accept an offer from S. Fielding & Co. Ltd the owners of Crown Devon around 1964.